How is zoning changed?

The zoning on a specific piece of property can change only through a public hearing process. By voicing their opinion, stakeholders are allowed to participate in the process. The rezoning of a property requires public notification, public hearings, and final approval from both the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.

An applicant may request a zoning change to allow for a use that is currently not permitted by the existing district. The applicant may rezone to a district that allows for the proposed use, by right or with a conditional use permit.

Conditional Use

Conditional use requires that certain “conditions” are met before the use is permitted. Conditions may involve additional screening, buffering, or landscaping requirements to minimize the impacts on adjacent properties.

Conditional use Permits require public participation in the form of notifications and public hearings. The permit must be approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council. An application can be obtained on forms and fees or by contacting the Planning Department.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. How is zoning changed?
3. Who may apply for a zoning change?
4. How can I obtain a zoning change application?